Board Meeting, June 9th, 2016

Board members present

  • Joerg Jaspert (Ganneff) (Vice President)
  • Michael Schultheiss (schultmc) (Treasurer)
  • Martin Michlmayr (tbm) (Secretary)
  • Joshua D. Drake (linuxhiker)
  • Martin Zobel-Helas (zobel)
  • Dimitri John Ledkov (xnox)

Board members partially present

  • None

Board members absent with regrets

  • Bdale Garbee (bdale) (President)

Board members absent

  • None

Board advisors present

  • None

Registered guests present

  • Philip Balister (Crofton)
  • Jonathan McDowell (Noodles)

These are the minutes for the June 9th, 2016 SPI Board Meeting, held at 20:30 UTC in #spi on irc.spi-inc.org. LOG.

President's Report

Bdale Garbee was not present, so there is no report from the President.

Treasurer's report

Michael Schultheiss continues to work with Martin Zobel-Helas and Martin Michlmayr on getting SPI's financial data into ledger. Regular reporting should resume soon. Martin Zobel-Helas added that he expects to see all January data in ledger soon.

Secretary's report

OpenZFS, Glucosio, ArduPilot and NTPsec accepted our invitation and are listed on the web site now.

Martin Michlmayr emailed all SPI associated projects to gather input for the 2015 annual report.

Robert Brockway and Gregers Petersen resigned from the board due to lack of time. Martin will post an overview of the election timeframe soon.

Outstanding minutes

Vote on Meeting Minutes for 12th May 2016:

Joshua D. DrakeYes
Joerg JaspertYes
Dimitri John LedkovYes
Martin MichlmayrYes
Michael SchultheissYes
Martin Zobel-HelasYes

Motion passed with a vote of 6 yes, 0 no, 0 abstain, 0 missing.

Items up for discussion

Resolution 2016-05-23.jdd.1: Torch as an associated project

Vote on Resolution 2016-05-23.jdd.1:

Joshua D. DrakeYes
Joerg JaspertYes
Dimitri John LedkovYes
Martin MichlmayrAbstain
Michael SchultheissYes
Martin Zobel-HelasYes

Motion passed with a vote of 5 yes, 0 no, 1 abstain, 0 missing.

Resolution 2016-06-06.jdd.1: Qubes as an associated project

While Qubes looks like an interesting project, there were various concerns regarding the services requested by Qubes, in particular paying contractors which SPI hasn't done before. Several directors felt we should contact SFLC first to get some guidance on the implications of paying contractors and the obligations that will put on SPI. The lack of liability insurance was also raised as a concern and several directors thought we should put that in place before SPI can pay contractors.

Given these concerns, the SPI board decided in a vote it couldn't accept Qubes at this point.

Vote on Resolution 2016-06-06.jdd.1:

Joshua D. DrakeAbstain
Joerg JaspertNo
Dimitri John LedkovNo
Martin MichlmayrNo
Michael SchultheissAbstain
Martin Zobel-HelasAbstain

Motion failed to pass with a vote of 0 yes, 3 no, 3 abstain, 0 missing.

New by-laws

Martin Zobel-Helas believes it's time to post the latest draft of the new by-laws for review on the SPI mailing list. Several directors agreed and Martin Michlmayr took the action item to ask Bdale Garbee to post them.

Any other business

Martin Michlmayr wanted to discuss the upcoming elections. Because of director resignations, there will be 6 seats available in this election and only 1 next year and 2 in two years. Typically, SPI has 3 seats up for election every year.

After some discussion, the SPI board agreed that it would not change the number of seats. However, candidates may be asked to stand for a shorter term than 3 years to even things out. Joerg Jaspert and Martin Zobel-Helas, who are both of up election, agreed to take shorter terms if needed.

The board agreed to move the date of the Annual General Meeting to the first Thursday in July.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned until Thursday, July 7th, 2016 at 20:30 UTC in #spi on irc.spi-inc.org.

Appendix A: Current Board Membership

Last electedNameRole
July 2013
Bdale GarbeePresident
July 2013
Joerg JaspertVice President
July 2014
Martin MichlmayrSecretary
July 2015
Michael SchultheissTreasurer
July 2013
Joshua D. Drake
July 2013
Martin Zobel-Helas
July 2015
Dimitri John Ledkov

Appendix B: Resolutions

Resolution 2016-05-23.jdd.1: Torch as an associated project

WHEREAS

1. Torch is a Free Software project.

2. The Torch developers would like SPI's support and assistance, including
taking donations.

THE SPI BOARD RESOLVES THAT

3. Torch is formally invited to become an SPI Associated Project, according
to the SPI Framework for Associated Projects, SPI Resolution
1998-11-16.iwj.1-amended-2004-08-10.iwj.1, a copy of which can be found at
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2004/2004-08-10.iwj.1/

4. Nicholas Léonard (nick@nikopia.org) is recognised by SPI as the
authoritative decision maker and SPI liaison for Torch.  Successors will be
appointed or elected by members of the Torch project.

5. This invitation will lapse, if not accepted, 60 days after it is
approved by the SPI Board.

Resolution 2016-06-06.jdd.1: Qubes as an associated project

WHEREAS

1. Qubes is a Free Software project.

2. The Qubes developers would like SPI's support and assistance, including
taking donations as well as other provided services.

THE SPI BOARD RESOLVES THAT

3. Qubes is formally invited to become an SPI Associated Project, according
to the SPI Framework for Associated Projects, SPI Resolution
1998-11-16.iwj.1-amended-2004-08-10.iwj.1, a copy of which can be found at
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2004/2004-08-10.iwj.1/

4. Marek Marczykowski (marmarek@invisiblethingslab.com) is recognised by
SPI as the authoritative decision maker and SPI liaison for Qubes. Successors
will be appointed or elected by members of the Qubes project.

5. This invitation will lapse, if not accepted, 60 days after it is
approved by the SPI Board.