SPI Reimbursement Request
Please read all the instructions before proceeding.
Step 0: Ascertain the Expense can be reimbursed by SPI
Before submitting the request, please make sure that SPI, as a 501(c)(3) public charity, can reimburse the expense. The Services page lists some examples of expenses SPI can and cannot reimburse, but in case of doubt, contact the treasurer or the board before spending the money.
Step 1: Prepare an Expense Report
You have to prepare an Expense Report with a list of all your expenses.
We have created a Google Sheets spreadsheet that you can fill out and export as PDF. You need a Google account to fill out the spreadsheet. (Sorry for the use of proprietary technology! This is a temporary solution until we implement a proper reimbursement system. If the use of Google Sheets is a problem for you, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will figure something out.)
- Open the spreadsheet.
- Go to File → Make a copy to make your own copy.
- Open your copy and fill it out.
- Go to cell C1 and enter your name.
- Go to cell C2 and enter the 3-letter currency code of the currency that you wish to receive. This is usually the currency of your country (although some countries have a preference for other currencies, such as USD and EUR). Wikipedia has a list of currency codes.
- For each expense you incurred, fill out one row in the spreadsheet:
- Double click on the Date column to get a calendar and pick the date of that particular expense (not the current date).
- Enter a brief description in Description (e.g. Bus to airport or just Bus).
Choose one of the expense types (cash, debit card, credit card) in Type.
Note: if the currency of the expense is the same as your requested currency, you can leave this empty. This field is only used to adjust the conversion rate if a currency conversion is necessary. We add 3% for credit cards, and 5% for debit cards and cash expenses to account for any transaction fees you might have incurred.
- Enter the amount in Amount.
- Enter the currency code of the expense in Currency.
- The field Converted amount should automatically update and convert the amount to your requested currency. This used the exchange rate from the date of the expense plus the adjustment for transaction fees mentioned above.)
- Enter each expense in one row until you are done.
- When you are done, note down the total you will receive from cell G30. You will need this figure for step 2.
- Save the spreadsheet (in case you need it again or we require changes).
- Export the spreadsheet as PDF by clicking on File → Download → PDF (.pdf). You will see a preview. Click on export to save the PDF.
You can also look at our example spreadsheet if you have questions on how to fill it out. If you're unsure or have problems, email us at email@example.com (ideally, include a link to your spreadsheet so we can see what's going on).
Step 2: Prepare an SPI Reimbursement Request Form
Use the form at the bottom of this page to generate an SPI Reimbursement Request Form.
Click the Generate PDF button and save the PDF file locally.
- Ensure that the banking information is accurate as incorrect details are a major source of delays.
- The Currency field is the currency of your bank account. Only say USD here if you have a USD bank account (e.g. because you live in the US). Check list of supported currencies. This currency should match the requested currency from the Expense Report (cell C2).
- Enter the total amount from the Expense Report as Amount (cell G30 in the Expense Report).
Step 3: Collect and Order your Receipts
Collect your receipts in the SAME ORDER as the rows in the Expense Report from Step 1.
Save them in PDF format.
- For paper receipts, scan them with a multi-function device or photograph them with your phone, converting to PDF.
Step 4: Prepare the Submission Package
Collect into a Submission Package (a single PDF file), the following (in this order):
- from Step 2, the SPI Reimbursement Request Form
- from Step 1, the Expense Report
- from Step 3, the Ordered Receipts
Save it in PDF format with filename ReimbursementRequest_«YourName»_«IsoDate».pdf.
- An example filename is ReimbursementRequest_LucaFilipozzi_20181006.pdf.
- Ensure that the entire Submission Package can be easily understood as poor quality submissions are a major source of delays.
- Consider using the pdfunite utility from the poppler-utils package (in Debian) to merge the individual PDF files into a single PDF file.
Step 5: Email the Submission Package
Prepare an email having these attributes:
- from: you
- to: firstname.lastname@example.org (or to «to_address» provided to you by event organizer)
- subject: Reimbursement Request for «short_description»
- attachment: the ReimbursementRequest_«YourName»_«IsoDate».pdf file prepared in Step 4
- body: (the text below)
By submitting this reimbursement request, I declare: - that I have prepared an SPI Reimbursement Request Form including bank account details, - that I have prepared an Expense Report, - that I have attached sufficient documentation substantiating my request, - that I seek reimbursement of expenses that are compliant with SPI and applicable Associate Project policies, and - that I have not sought nor will seek reimbursement of these expenses from any other source.
- The Associated Project Liaison must approve your request before SPI will process a reimbursement payment.
- Consequently, the Associated Project Liaison has permission to view your Submission Package, including personal information contained therein.
SPI Reimbursement Form
|Bank Branch Number|
|Bank Address (cont)|